Monday, March 31, 2008

From Stud-ly To Slick

Well... I may have just played the biggest April Fool's joke ever. I decided it was time to switch from the studded tires to the slick tires. I am hoping that we don't get any more snow and the temperatures stay up over freezing when we have water on the roads.

I run the Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106's in the winter. I get these from Peter White Cycles. I have no connection to them other than being a very happy customer. The only downside to these is that they weigh a ton and have a very high rolling resistance. But then... what do you expect when there are 106 tungsten carbide steel studs per tire.

I've been using the Continental Contact Sport tires when the roads are free of ice and snow. These roll really nice. They also can be run up to 80psi. I also get the version that have the reflective sidewalls. I figure every little bit helps to be seen. I should be somewhere between five and ten minutes faster into, and more importantly, out of work.

I met an interesting character on the ride home today, but that is a post for tomorrow and I won't be making any of it up.

No comments: